Chilworth Manor, Guildford, Surrey
Guildford Borough Council Heritage and Environment Award 2007.
The Guildford Society Good Design Awards 2007.
Located below St Martha's Hill, its history goes back to a record in the Domesday Book as a monastery. Built on the monastery ruins, the earliest recognisable part of the manor was created by the widow of the Duke of Marlborough in 1725. She also created the tiered gardens to the rear of the house. Chilworth Manor is a Grade II listed building by English Heritage. Formerly owned by Lady Heald, the Chairman of the National Gardens Schedule from 1951-1979.
The present owners have sensitively restored the manor and the gardens. New ideas have been carefully integrated into the historic landscape. We advised on the improvement of the gardens, in particular the Duchess's Garden, the higher and lower ponds and the pool garden. This included the new 'Japanese style' garden and the careful siting of the small solar power farm. The higher and lower ponds are thought to be monastic carp ponds. They have been carefully dredged and restored, including the sensitive repair of the pond edges.