The Waitrose development designed by Architects Broadway Malyan was part of Berkhampstead's Town Centre Strategy. The environmental improvement of the town centre was a key consideration. We advised on the hard and soft landscape, in particular the detailed bio-engineering of the River Bulbourne. The chalk stream runs alongside the Grand Union Canal to the north of the Waitrose car park. The work included:
- Clearance of debris and fly-tipping
- Adjusting the water course to provide various water depths e.g. deep pools, riffles and beaches.
- Reducing bank erosion by introducing pre-planted coir rolls and brushwood faggots.
- Constructing otter holts
- Planting the banks with native shrubs, trees and wildflower plugs associated with chalk streams
- Introducing suitable habitat for water voles.